Skip to main content

Like waves on the shore

Before I came to the US, I had a little time on my hands one day as I was roaming around in Kolkata for the US Visa. The best way, of killing time for me is to go through some books in a book store. The Oxford book store (on Park Street, probably?) was the closest one at hand, and I hopped in wanting to kill an hour or so.

After browsing through some random sections, I came across a corner where the there was a plethora of books written by Rabindranath Tagore. Due to the recent expiry of the copyright, many publishers had launched their own versions of either his complete works or selected novels, short stories, etc. I picked up the Gitanjali, and started reading through it. Some of the poems I had read earlier, but others I had never gone through before. And I stood there, reading through them.

All those poems suddenly began to make sense to me that day. I remembered how I had hated reading through some Bengali poems earlier as a kid in school --- something that I had had to half-heartedly gulp down. But now all of them made sense. Even poems that I had read earlier: I could see them in a new light altogether. Like waves of the ocean breaking upon the same shore, I saw new meanings, newer dimensions and new light in them each time I read through something. Even though they were from the same ocean of thought, yet each crest and each trough presented a new perspective of the meaning immortalised through the black print upon those pages. And soon the book became overwhelming; I could not read beyond 5-6 poems, I had to put it down and let the head process and churn through the thoughts. I just stood there staring blankly for some time.

I so wanted to buy that book that day. But it wasn't so easy: there was the consideration of weight limits on airplane luggage, there was the consideration of not being able to pay off the credit card dues because I was about to leave Indian shores. And so I just stepped out of the shop empty-handed, into the sunshine and walked quietly for a long way back to the house, my brain agog with a subtle mirth I hadn't known for a long time.

But, here's the advantage of studying at one of the top places in the US: I've found multiple copies of the book here in the university library! And there is so much more literature to read, so much to explore! You will understand my feeling here only if you know the joy of just walking through stacks of books and staring at them. The library here has a policy of unlimited borrowing for graduate students: I can borrow all the (10 million plus :) ) books in the library for an entire semester! And it feels so good to read through them again... just live through the glory of these words:

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action--
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

Amen!

Comments

  1. that one moment when something you have known for a long time suddeny falls into place and makes sense ... beautiful post

    read about thakur da somewhere else today - why do all the blogs suddenly remember him? rabindra jayanti? lost track ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, wonderful poem that, to end the piece. I am sure it is from Gitanjali, am I right?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricercar, thank you! And may I add (as I said in the last post's comments as well) that the 'prerona' behind this one was your last comment :)

    Suyog, yes sir... you're right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are truly living in such difficult time where it is so much of a struggle to find who we are ?? And almost century old poems making sense - it seems you are hanging between that time and current time.

    I enjoy Bengali literature , however I have to rely on english medium...!Such a pity...!

    Very nice post...I sincerely hope you write more of your musings !!- I have a copy back home...so good to get the link while being on Road. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. R, poems like these are timeless --- much like the human emotions, bliss, serenity of the moonlight, etc that people have felt over the ages. Any word written about them even a thousand years ago would be still as true.

    My posts depend on my mood and the current thought in my head. But I'll try to post more of such things as and when I feel them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sudipta,
    I love that poem by Tagore. And everytime I read it I feel stronger and rejuvenated. I am not a great reader, but yes I did buy a book on poems by Rabindranath Tagore.. Translated into English, just as "r" said even I had to rely on English..

    I like your blog, the "Tips" section, you are a great help to many aspirants ..

    And as for the masterpiece by Tagore... Amen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'where the mind is without fear' is one of my favorite lines of all times, everytime i hear these magical words i fall deeper in love with tagore's thoughts. i remember hearing these lines as a child from my grandpa and when he explained me the profound meaning that these words conveyed, i felt proud to be an indian...these words still bring back that feeling..thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maithily, thanks a lot! And welcome onboard... I am glad that they were of help.

    Life lover, of course... one wishes you understood Bengali and lived through the beauty of those words in the original as well! Anyway... you're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sudipta, if i were to learn one language other than the one i already know (hindi), i would opt for bengali...it is the sweetest sounding one and it is the language tagore expressed his thoughts in, so tell me if you would like to teach and you have a student all ready and eager to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life lover, of course, of course!! My pleasure, ma'am ... anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey - I just shared the lines from Gitanjali with some one....!Somehow it blended well with what I wanted to contribute to the conversation. Yeah ...beautiful lines !!

    Thanks once again for sharing your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is true as you grow & get to understand life in its variegated shades
    so many things unfold themselves. Particularly the beautiful poems of Rabindranath capture these with full intensity. The more you read the more you are entranced. They seem to open up life in its kaleidoscopic aspects with the subtleties, delicacies and symbolic layers of meaning.You are uplifted, elevated and blissful.There are such sublime thoughts arrested in such touching and powerful words, you feel inspired and comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maa, posted your comments... and thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well... I’ve not yet read any of Tagore’s poetry. But I can relate very well to the “the joy of just walking through stacks of books and staring at them”. It is one that has to be experienced first-hand and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alpine path, yes... that is something that must be felt first-hand

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful,,,its a art to allow your life carry you farther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Unknown - they truly are inspirational each time you read them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maa khuh chihal a panjam hastam

The hit counter on my blog reached 20074 today. Why you may ask, is that news, and why hadn't I cheered myself up when it was at 20,000 for example? Well, it is news because 20074 has been a very special number for me during my entire college life: it was my admission number, and my system-wide unique identity. It is strange, and surprising, how these numbers become a part of our identity. The social security number, the passport number, the id number in the college, or even your roll number somehow becomes an almost innate part of the day-to-day life. As soon as I see the same number somewhere else: maybe on a telephone, on a hitcounter, maybe somewhere else... a thousand memories are triggered. As my eyes struck the hitcounter showing 20074 right now, I was thrown back to memories of filling up exam answer sheets, hostel admission forms, library recall requests, and so much more! I believe that number was present on almost every official form which I filled in college: even when

Swami Vivekananda and the Indian Renaissance

The following is an article I sent to my mother based on which she presented at one of her conferences. Do read. =======================================  The common perception of Swami Vivekananda as the religious leader who preached Hinduism to the West and established the Ramakrishna Mission in India is a very limited definition of the impact he had on the collective psyche of the common Indian. Besides his direct impact in adding steam to the Indian Renaissance, a large part of his thoughts and writings also affected the other stalwarts of the movement. While fathoming the entirety of his impact on the Indian Renaissance would be impossible, we will briefly explore some aspects of his influence in the following pages. Raja Ram Mohan Roy is generally credited with ushering in the revolution. His numerous ventures that contradicted the prevailing religious opinion of right and wrong broke the stranglehold of the prevalent quasi-religion, the norms of society and its sole autocrati

Tips and tricks for the GRE

Hello everybody, First of all, I thank all of you for the good wishes and congratulations that you have sent... either as mails, PMs, or anyhow. I have also been getting a lot of mails from people asking for tips and tricks and how I made it to the 800 in quants and 700 on the verbal. So if you are prepared for a lot of gyaan (which I love shelling out), here you go: 1. How long does it take to prepare? A: There is no definite time frame. But about 2-3 dedicated hours a day, for about two-and-a-half months is enough. Then, again, it is dependent on your level. To find that out, I'd suggest that you should take one paper-based test that is there in the front of the book (Barron's, Kaplan, anything... or even the Big Book). If you score about 750 on the quants, and about 500 on the verbal (no cheatings, etc) then the time frame I've said should be enough. If you scored more, great... you should try to get to around 1550!! But if less... well, spruce up depending on how